This is one of my go-to recipes for fall and winter months. It's healthy, filling, and you can use your crock pot! Is there anything better than coming home to a warm meal? Or if you stay at home, you could make this in the morning and spend the afternoon outside instead of scrambling to cook!
- 1.5 lbs chicken breasts, cut in half (or you can use pre-cooked rotisserie chicken)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 chopped onion (I like to use the pre-chopped frozen kind)
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- a handful of copped cilantro
- 2 cans (14.5 oz each) diced tomatoes undrained
- 2 cans (10 oz each) enchilada sauce
- 1 can black beans undrained
- 1 package frozen corn
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
I've had to sub chipotle pepper powder before and it worked great
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (this just makes it a bit creamy - you can easily skip this if you prefer a clearer broth soup)
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- garnish: crumbled tortilla chips, shredded cheese, cubed avocado, sour cream, cilantro
1. Brown chicken with oil. My Ninja crockpot has a 'stovetop' setting so I do it in the actual crock pot. You could also boil the chicken.
2. Add ALL the other ingredients except cream and cheese to crock pot. Cook on low for 2-3 hours.
3. Shred chicken and add cream and cheese. Give it a good stir.
4. Allow to cook for another 10 minutes so the cheese melts.
5. Serve and top with your choice of garnish!